Rowville Secondary College will endeavour to update our community with the latest on COVID-19.
Updates will also come through Compass. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Please click here for updates from Department of Health and Human Services, Victoria State Government.
UPDATES & LATEST NEWS
Stage 4 Restrictions & Return to Remote Learning
On Sunday 2 August, the Victorian Government announced that, on the advice of the Victorian Chief Health Officer, metropolitan Melbourne will move to Stage 4 restrictions to slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). These requirements apply to all schools across the government, Catholic and independent sectors and across all metropolitan Melbourne and rural and regional Victoria.
The changes to schools’ operations will come into effect from Wednesday 5 August, following a student free day on Tuesday 4 August, and are likely to apply until the end of Term 3.
As outlined in the Chief Health Officer’s advice on Friday, schools remain safe places for staff and students – but these steps are critical measures to reduce the movement of students and families across the state. There are implications for our school, and for families in our school community. A summary of what the changes mean for schools is below.
YEAR 7 TO YEAR 10
- Year 7 to Year 10 students will continue with remote and flexible learning.
- The criteria for students that can attend on-site has changed as follows:
- children whose parents are permitted workers. The Victorian Government will provide further advice about this over the coming days
- vulnerable children in out of home care, children known to child protection and other agencies and children the school identifies as vulnerable
- children with a disability who also fit one of the above two categories.
SENIOR SECONDARY YEAR 11 AND 12 (VCE AND VCAL)
- All Year 11 and 12 provision for both VCE and VCAL will move to remote and flexible learning.
- The GAT will be rescheduled from Wednesday 9 September to Wednesday 7 October.
- The schedule for the VCE examinations and release of results will remain as previously advised.
- Further information about consideration of disadvantage and coronavirus (COVID-19) will be provided shortly.
PROCESS FOR APPLYING FOR ON-SITE ATTENDANCE
An application for “Request for Supervised Remote Learning Program (STAGE 4 Restrictions)” must be completed and emailed to the school. The application form can be accessed here.
- Only students in year 7-10 are eligible to apply for supervision at school.
- Any application for supervision at school for Wednesday 5 August must be received by 12pm Tuesday 4 August.
- All students who are approved to be supervised at school will attend the Eastern Campus for the period of Remote Learning, regardless of whether they normally attend the Eastern or Western Campus.
- Tuesday 4 August will be a student-free day across Victoria to enable teachers, especially in rural and regional Victoria, to prepare for flexible and remote learning.
- Applications for on-site attendance for Wednesday 5 August must be received by midday, Tuesday 4 August.
- Wednesday 5 August will be the first day of new arrangements
- Schools will ensure sufficient staff are available for necessary on site supervision at the Eastern Campus.
- Staff not required for on site supervision will work from home.
- The Western Campus will be closed from Wednesday 5 August until students resume learning at school.
WATCH OUR VIDEO: Meet our Wellbeing Team
We are open to talking, listening and supporting – whatever you need, even if you don’t know what you need.
Wellbeing Support & Information
- Mental health specialists agree that the social and mental impact of COVID 19 is great, diverse and far reaching.
- The Wellbeing team at Rowville Secondary College continue to offer support to our community both remotely and on campus for VCE students.
- We can be contacted via phone, microsoft teams or email.
Wellbeing Contacts & Ongoing Student Support
- Wellbeing Staff: Andy Phillips, Joanne Johnson, Emma McLachlan, Michelle Furzer & Sean Venn.
- Phone 9755 4555 (ask for Wellbeing East or Wellbeing West).
- Email: email@example.com.
Important Wellbeing Resources
Our Wellbeing Team have sourced some excellent and helpful resources that our families would benefit from during this time to assist with remote learning and mental health.
- COVID-19 Community and Welfare Relief Service Providers
- Remote Learning – Utilising Learning Strengths
- Three Big Things Parents can do to help with Home-Based Learning
- Resource & Activity Booklet for Parents of Teens
- Living with worry and anxiety amidst global uncertainty
- FACE COVID – How to respond effectively to the Corona crisis
TERM 3 – On campus and off campus learning
- All year 11 and 12 students are back to school for on-campus learning as of Monday 13 July.
- Year 7-10 students have an extended week of school holidays from Monday 13 July to Friday 17 July.
- Remote learning begins for all students in year 7 to year 10 on Monday 20 July.
- Cafe is closed on both campuses until further notice.
- Temperature checking occurs in Learning Mentor Group for all Year 11 and 12 students and at the office if a student is late to school.
- School bus will operate on a modified timetable.
LISTEN TO PODCAST: Teaching through the pandemic: lessons learned in and out of school
Listen to the University of Melbourne Podcast featuring our Principal Julie Kennedy, Teaching through the pandemic: lessons learned in and out of school. Ms. Kennedy discusses what’s worked, what didn’t and what RSC are going to take with them into the future. You can read full transcript here (Julie begins on page 6).
WATCH VIDEO: SRC Welcome Students Back to School
Our student representative council (SRC) welcome our students back to school. The SRC talk you through your rights and responsibilities back on campus during the COVID-19 pandemic.
SCHOOL RETURNS – May & June 2020
**No parents/guardians are allowed on school premises. If you need to contact us, please call 9755 4555. Or email your child’s Learning Mentor in Compass.
- Monday 25th May is a student free day, no online learning will occur on this day as teachers will be planning for the students return to school.
- Tuesday 26th May – Year 11 & Year 12 return to school. (Year 7 to 10 continue with learning at home).
- Tuesday 9th June – Year 7, 8, 9, 10 return to school.
Watch out for more information to come through Compass.
ADVICE FOR PARENTS: How learning from home will work
- RSC Remote Learning FAQs for Parents & Guardians – Click here >>
- How to Use a School Closure to Surge Ahead Academically – Click here >>
- Learning at Home – Click here >>
Virtual Health Office at Rowville Secondary College
Our Rowville Secondary College Virtual Health Office is open and is being run by our school nurse, Ms. Stephanie Sear. If anyone in our school community; families, parents, teachers and students have any health issues and/or inquiries and question simply contact Stephanie by sending her an email in Compass.
The Wellbeing Team East and West are keen to extend our arm of support to all families during this difficult period with continued access to wellbeing services during school hours. The available team includes: Andy Phillips (West Campus Wellbeing Coordinator and Social Worker), Joanne Johnson (East Campus Coordinator) and Emma McLachlan (Multi-campus school counsellor and provisional psychologist).
How to access Wellbeing support:
There are a number of ways to engage our support:
- Referrals from learning mentors
- Sending an email to our wellbeing address to request a return call or information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phoning either campus wellbeing office directly as these messages are retrievable remotely: WEST CAMPUS 9755 4533
EAST CAMPUS 9755 4616
The news about COVID-19 is not only unavoidable but also changing on a daily basis. Rowville Secondary College will always work to ensure that our community is a healthy, safe one. Our goal is to help contain the spread of the virus to members of our community as best we can. Therefore, in line with departmental guidelines, the school is taking a series of actions. The following Rowville Secondary College events have been postponed or cancelled:
- Open Nights
- School Tours
- Program Information Nights
- RIA play
- RSC Production rehearsals
- Solo Nights
- All extra -curricular and inter school sport competitions
- All excursions including KIOSC
- RSA Elite Coaching Camps
- VCE Media Top Screen and NGV
- RIA Junior Visual Arts Excursion
- Woodwind Excursion – Multicultural & Women in sports awards
- Student vs Police Basketball game
- Bullying whole school activity on Friday 20th p.5
Events, excursions and camps for Term 2 will be assessed at a later date based on the most up-to-date advice.
- Statement of School Closures in Victoria. Click here for latest press release or read it below.