‘stories in the dark’ by Debra Oswald & Past productions
stories in the dark – show synopsis
Stories in the Dark’ by Debra Oswald follows the story of a terrified 12-year-old boy, Tomas, who finds himself separated from his family in the unfamiliar streets of a war torn city. He takes refuge in a bombed-out house and in the total blackness his bravado crumbles into tears.
Into his life steps Anna – older, street smart and scornful of his crying. As a way of shutting the boy up, she starts to tell him a story that she vaguely remembers from her own childhood. And so begins a journey into the shifting, shimmering world of ogres, princes, singing bones, foolish lads and wolf-mothers.
‘Stories in the Dark’ explores the power of storytelling, mingling the magic and earthy wisdom of folk tales with the hard-edged story of violence, conflict and the struggle to survive. The play is further complemented through student-composed music and dance threaded throughout key moments of the play to bring to life these fantasy stories and highlight the power of imagination and storytelling.
- Director/Artistic Director: Ms. Madeline Dundon
- Digital Technologies/Artistic Director: Mr. Rod Price
- Set Constuction & Design/Musical Accompaniment: Mr Andrew Martin
- Assistant Director/Musical Director: Jenn Walter
- 2022: Stories in the Dark
- 2021: Charlie & the Chocolate Factory*
- 2020: Strictly Ballroom*
- 2019: Rock of Ages
- 2018: The Litte Mermaid
- 2017: The Witches of Eastwick
*Due to covid restrictions these performances did not go ahead.
- 2016: Legally Blonde
- 2015: Beauty and the Beast
- 2014: Hairspray
- 2013: Seussical the Musical
- 2012: The Wiz
- 2011: Fame
- 2010: Grease